OFFICE OF THE URCSA GENERAL SYNOD
GENERAL SECRETARY POST
The position of the General Secretary: General Synod of URCSA is vacant. Such appointment is a performance-based contract for a period of five (5) years. The General Secretary is responsible to manage and lead the General synod strategically to realize the vision and mission of URCSA.
The Office of the URCSA GENERAL SYNOD is an equal opportunity, representative employer. It is the intention to promote representivity (race, gender and disability) in the Church through the filling of positions. Candidates whose appointment will promote representivity will therefore receive preference. Persons with disability are especially encouraged to apply. An indication of representivity profile by applicants will expedite the processing of applications.
APPLICATION: Forward your application, stating the relevant reference number to:
The Moderator, Office of the URCSA GENERAL SYNOD, 68 Sooliman Street, Mohadin, POTCHEFTSROOM, 2530
CLOSING DATE: 31 December 2017 @16:00
NB: This is a RE-ADVERTISMENT and applicants who applied with the first advertisement, must apply again.
Applications must be accompanied by a recently updated comprehensive CV and certified copies of qualifications, Driver’s License and Identity Document, service certificates of previous employers stating occupation, proof relevant experience in the field of the post. The copies must be correctly certified on the copy itself, not at the back. The certification must not be older than 3 months. Qualifications and driver’s license submitted will be subjected to verification checking with relevant institutions. Should you be in possession of a foreign qualification(s), it must be accompanied by an evaluation certificate from the South African Qualification Authority (SAQA). Please take note that faxed, e-mailed and late applications will not be accepted. Applications must be mailed timeously. Late applications will not be accepted or considered. Correspondence will be limited to shortlisted candidates only. If you have not been contacted within 3 months of the closing date of this advertisement, please accept that your application was unsuccessful. The Uniting Reformed Church in Southern Africa (URCSA) General Synod is under no obligation to fill a post after the advertisement thereof and reserves the right to re-advertise before a shortlist is compiled.
POST: GENERAL SECREATRY : REF NO: GS 02/09/2017
SALARY: See URCSA General Synod Scales and benefits (Contact Moderator for details)
CENTRE: URCSA GENERAL SYNOD OFFICE, MAMELODI, PRETORIA
- A relevant qualification or equivalent experience in the field of management is required.
- The candidate should be a member of URCSA.
- Ability to develop a strategic vision and mission for the office.
- Leadership and management competencies as demonstrated through administrative competence, good interpersonal and communication skills and problem solving, judgment and decision making abilities.
- Knowledge of the integrated ministry model and the current operation of URCSA in relation to its Church order and regulations in all levels.
- Knowledge and understanding of ecumenical relation and partnership.
- Ability to provide innovative leadership in initiating, developing and reviewing financial and administrative strategies.
- Ability to lead and manage a diverse group of ministers, staff members, ministries and members in general.
- Provide guidance, intellectual stimulus and professional leadership to heads of departments within the office.
- Demonstrate competencies and skills in change management and transformation in URCSA.
- Proven experience in liaising with external stakeholders at national levels and beyond.
KEY PERFORMANCE AREAS:
- Participate in constructing a new ethical and servant leadership in URCSA in general
- Develop creative and innovative approaches to transform URCSA’s core business
- Establish URCSA as a leader in corporate, ecclesiastical governance and the promotion of sustainability
- Foster a service-centered and high performance culture through effective talent management
- Oversee effective implementation of URCSA operational plans
- Enhance service excellence, quality and efficiencies through effective use of technology, processes and systems in line with URCSA’s Church order and regulations
- Practice professional citizenship
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- To be present in the congregations and assemblies of the church as a spokesperson for the church’s mission, a pastor and a listener to the needs and opportunities that are before the church in its various contexts of ministry
- To provide vision, counsel, and support to assist the work of the General Synod and the General Synodical Commission, including reports with recommended actions
- To enable ministries and governing bodies to be guided by clear priorities, goals, and objectives that can direct the allocation of resources in the implementation of the church’s mission
- Financial Administration, properties and other related matters as well as supervision over office personnel
- Work with staff and the Finance Manager to prepare a comprehensive budget
- Keep record of income and expenditure. All moneys received, shall be banked at a registered bank that approved by the ministry for Finance and Administration
- She/he shall be an additional member of the Ministry for Service and Witness
- She/he shall be the scribe and additional member for the Ministry for Finance and Administration, Executive as well as the Synodical Commission
- He / She shall be responsible for the safekeeping of all monies, documents, books, correspondence and other properties connected to the office
- Handling archival material of the Synod together with the scribe and become the ex – officio member of the Ministry for Publication and Archives
- In assistance to the scribe, handle the general administrative responsibilities of the Synod like Publications, Printing, sending minutes, Notices etc as it may be instructed by the Synod, General Synodical Commission, the Ministry for Administration and Finance as well as the executive commission of the latter
- Oversee, the payments of all expenditures after having satisfied him/herself of the legitimacy thereof
- Oversee the implementation of the human resources policies, procedures and practices including the development of job description for all staff
- Oversee the efficient and effective day to day operation of the organization.
- Implement a performance management process for all staff which includes monitoring the performance of staff on an ongoing basis and conducting an annual performance review
- (Oversee, ensure that) the payments of affiliation fees to the Ecumenical bodies
- Compiling statistics and information for the Year book and report accordingly
- He/ She shall prepare a budget for the office present it to the Synod and or General Synodical Commission for approval
- Liaise and correspond with the Ecumenical Partners
- Handle any other matter as may be instructed by the Synod, Synodical Commission as well as matters tabled in this Regulation
- The General Secretary presents a report of his/her responsibilities to the Synod or the General Synodical Commission.
ENQUIRIES : Rev Prof LJ Modise
TEL : +2782 949 4164
Email : email@example.com